28 February, 2010

Kevin Harvick wins NASCAR Nationwide Series event Auto racing

Kevin Harvick overcame two horrendous pit stops to win the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Harvick led 83 of the 200 laps in the Sam's Town 300 Saturday, but had to rally after his crew cost him several spots on pit road.

"You look like a bunch of idiots on pit road," the driver told his Kevin Harvick Inc. crew after their first slow stop.

Harvick had to methodically work his way back through the field, and found himself trailing leader Denny Hamlin late in the race. Once past Hamlin, Harvick coasted to his second career victory in Las Vegas and 35th in the Nationwide Series.

"I get mad, and they know how I am and what I expect of them," Harvick said in victory lane. "But I learned a long time ago you can only gripe about it for so long, and then you've got to go back and drive the car."

Hamlin was second and Carl Edwards was third. Greg Biffle of Vancouver, Wash., was ninth of 43.

Danica Patrick finished 36th in her third and final NASCAR race before she takes a four-month hiatus to return to IndyCar racing.

She wrecked about halfway through the race when she ran into the lapped car of Michael McDowell. Patrick had recently pitted and was on fresh tires, and McDowell said he misjudged her closing rate.

"I guess she was coming out on new tires, and the closing rate was so fast," McDowell said. "I tried to give the outside, I saw her coming into it and I closed the door. It was completely, 100 percent my fault. I hate it for everyone at JR Motorsports."

Patrick, who had climbed as high as third earlier in the race, was miffed on the radio and uttered a few profanities immediately after the accident.

Back in the garage, she was biting in her assessment of the accident.

"I guess I should have noticed the tape on his left-rear bumper. I probably shouldn't have been near his left-rear bumper," Patrick said. "Sure enough, he turned down and took us both out. What are you going to do?ries event | Auto racing