26 July, 2009

Solange Knowles shaved her head


Has anyone else noticed a trend with some famous women saying bye-bye to their long luscious locks? Solange Knowles, Beyonce's younger sister, is yet another celebrity to show off a drastically different hair cut. Though she shaved it two weeks ago, the first photo of Solange Knowles' shaved head was taken yesterday by the paparazzi as she brought her son to school.
Solange was spotted the other day taking her son to school, sporting a new, bolder and definitely nice ‘do, with her hair cut close to the skull. As many jumped to conclusions to say that she was actually making some form of statement – such as, say, putting herself in a different league than Beyonce's by avoiding confusions with her, or showing women that beauty was not all about long hair – Solange herself is taking it to Twitter to explain.

“Listen, if I wanted to make a statement, I would have twitpic’d [uploaded pictures]. I was simply taking my son to school. Stupid paps took pic. I’ve had my hair cut like this for two weeks. I was NOT inspired by anyone but myself. I have done this twice in my llife [sic.]. I was 16. I was 18. Did not care about your opinion then. Don’t care now. Don’t need your attention. I am #3 trending topic [on Twitter] before IRAN and some of you can’t even locate it on a map. It’s sad. I just wanted to be free from the bondage that black women sometimes put on themselves with hair. I’m not mad at all of you that have made your opinions know [sic.] and have sent negative energy my way. I expected this of you.” Solange writes.
Solange is being a really positive role model. She shows us you don't need a weave and/or a full head of hair to be beautiful and stylish. Rihanna's in on it too. Check out this photo of her taken last week in London